020 32 86 58 51  |  023 80 972 434

Many people do not realise that even though they are not in the music or performance industries they still require a music licence for their business.

The Performing Rights Society (PRS) ensures that writers, performers and producers of music are fairly paid for their work, and they issue licences to those that need them to pay for it.

Most people know that they would need one for a live performance or broadcasting, but not everyone knows they need one for playing music in the workplace. If you play music where either customers or staff can hear it then you will need a licence – this includes any music that plays when your customers are on hold on the telephone. So if you have a shop or office with the radio playing you should have one.

There are fines for not having the necessary licence and they vary depending on the severity and how long it has been going on.

You can find out more, including which licence you may need, on the PRS website here.